Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Misconceptions & Practical Application Concerning Illumination

I would like to address a couple of misconceptions regarding illumination. It would be easy to think that with the Spirit’s help we can understand everything the Bible contains, but this is not necessarily so. We know there are some concepts that are too great for us and that God has chosen to remain hidden to us. For example, with the Spirit’s illumination we can see the Trinity in the Bible, but we can never truly understand the inner workings of the godhead and truly comprehend how three can be one.

Similarly we may not ever know why God allows certain events to happen while keeping other ones from ever taking place. We might also add here that this is also why God has placed teachers in the body, precisely because we are not able, alone, to understand the Bible in all of its fullness. Even though we possess God’s Holy Spirit, we must still submit to the teaching of those whom God has ordained to the teaching and preaching ministry, for this is a primary way in which God illuminates His people.

We might also wistfully think that the illumination of the Spirit precludes us from doing thorough, carefully study of the Bible, but again, this is not so. While we trust the Holy Spirit to guide us as we study His word, we must still labor to fulfill the Bible’s commands to “cut it straight” – to accurately handle the word. In this way we can have assurance that the Spirit has, indeed, helped us to see truth and not error. As with most other things in life, God still commands us to work hard and to dedicate ourselves to the task. Just as we would not sit back and expect God to provide for us financially when we refuse to do useful labor, in the same way we should not expect Him to illuminate the Word for us when we are not diligent in seeking the truth.

Practical Applications of The Doctrine

So let’s make this practical. What does the concept of illumination really mean to the average person?

First, it gives us assurance that God can and will speak to me through His word. I do not need to rely on my own intellect, but can have confidence that God Himself is working in and through me to bring light to the words of the Scripture. I do not need to rely on experts to tell me what the Bible says, but can rely on God Himself to tell me. In point of truth, it teaches me that my own intellect is not trustworthy unless it is informed by God’s word, and guided in understanding by God’s Spirit. That being said, when one comes to the place where he or she sees that their own mind is not only not up to the task of discerning truth, but in fact, is handicapped in that ability by the presence of sin; then the true comfort of the presence of Divine revelation and inspiration comes before us.

Second, I must seek the Spirit’s illumination when I study the Scripture. I should invite Him to guide me as I read and continually turn to Him, asking Him to help me when I am stuck or perplexed. Of course, this naturally follows the first idea. If it does not, then I need to begin again, because I have not really embraced the truth of my own lack of ability.

Third, I must be diligent in my studies. The Spirit works through my efforts, not apart from them. If I am not properly engaged in studying the word, I cannot expect Him to help me. This is the sole thing that I bring to the table. I bring the diligence and intensity of my effort of discover and understand. Yet, even this is that function of the grace of God as it works itself out in my life. Were it not for God and His grace, continually working, motivating and prompting me toward godliness, there is little question but that I would wander far off the track and wander toward unacceptable and dangerous pastures.

It is beyond the purview of this document to fully develop this idea Biblically, but we can say[1] that all ability to perceive and understand spiritual matters, ultimately proceeds from the Lord Jesus Christ (John 1:9):

That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.

That ability is endowed upon us as believers at conversion (Heb. 6:4):

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 

We just want to note here that this is a state that we enter into, not a natural one that was there all the time. Illumination, objectively, is a function of Christian truth (Eph. 1:18):

…the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,

This illumination comes from the hand of God (1 Cor. 4:5)

Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God.

Ultimately by means of the Holy Spirit (John 16:13–16)

13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you. 16 “A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me, because I go to the Father.”

And so Isaiah will make the point that the Jews were lacking in “common sense”, or in Biblical terms, lacking in that understanding that would lead them in the right walk before God. In eloquence that is fairly unique, Isaiah begins by calling witness…and we will pick that up next time.


[1] Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1995). Nelson's quick reference topical Bible index. Nelson's Quick reference (305). Nashville, Tenn.: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment