Thursday, February 24, 2011

It Is A Balancing Act…

The Scripture describes my sin as that which dishonors that worthy Name by which I have been called but James 2:23 tells us:

"And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.' And he was called the friend of God.”

As I walk through my life it is a constant struggle for me to balance these two truths and keep them before me.  As I pray, whether on a “normal” day or on a day when I can “recovering” from a fall…I see that it is in my sins Lord, and certainly most frequently in my faults, I do dishonor you. I suppose it is the besetting sin of man that afflicts me as well; but even in the midst of reading the Scripture, or studying the Scripture, profound wickedness can insert itself. It is a cause of both great sadness and great consternation for me. It is also a cause of great frustration! There are several areas of my, "nature" that I would gladly do without so that I could be more godly. They plague me and they drag me down. I freely confess for that I find it difficult to gain victory over them.

But then, I suppose and I remember that this, in fact, is the Christian life. Were it not, immediately after the moment of redemption You would take us to be with You! The Christian life is about the struggle with these matters and so struggle on I must go. But it is a grief to me Father and a great sorrow. For I fail and I fall down and it is a misery to me. Not only is it a sorrow when I fall, but the very experiencing the thoughts and impulses is a great sadness as well.

Thankfully Lord, the Scripture is surely true when it says that Abraham "believed" God and THAT was counted to him for righteousness!

As with Abraham, my righteousness is a righteousness that is foreign to me. It is Christ's righteousness and not my own. That goes not only for the forensic righteousness that placed me in Christ insofar as my redemption goes. But also for the righteousness that carries me on day by day.

I do not earn God's blessing or His pleasure in my daily life. I cannot! To think or expect that I do is to hint that Christ's sacrifice was not truly sufficient. It is to imply (however unintentionally) that there was more to be done when He said "It is finished." It suggests (again, however unintentionally, but truly nevertheless) that Christ's cross work only puts us at the starting line and that we ourselves, by our effort (oh yes, with His help of course) must do the rest of the work by our own strength.

The Law of unintended consequences comes into play for many here.  For whatever reason, the vast majority of them external to the Bible (worldview, church leaders, parents, tradition, tickling of the ears, etc.), many assume the truth of their point of view concerning this matter.  Jesus saved me, but now I have to pitch in and get the job done, He ain’t gonna do it for me. It is almost almost framed in terms that are sympathetic and hard to contradict.  After all – who would try and say that Jesus is going to be obedient “for” me?  I certainly wouldn’t.

The problem is that there is a real misunderstanding of just what it is that was being accomplished.  There is a misunderstanding of what was addressed at the Cross, and of the real nature of man both before and after the cross.  Ah Lord, how is it that You have shown to me the truth of what the Word of God says? I say Lord, hopefully in all humility, that I cast away any thought that I must accomplish my own righteousness.  God forbid that I be like those who rely on their own strength to carry on after the cross to try and please the God of heaven and to do all that He requires.

It sounds nasty when you say that way, doesn't it? It should! Because that's not at all what God's word says. When Christ said the work was finished – it was indeed completely finished. Ah Lord, thank You so much and remind me that though my nature is so wretchedly soiled and ugly, that You in Your gracious mercy have made tremendous provision. Enable me, dear Father, to balance that knowledge with a drive toward holiness and righteousness and striving for purity in my everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment