Thursday, March 17, 2011

Not As The World Giveth…

 

The story is told about a wounded soldier who was being taken to a hospital tent by some of his comrades. After they had carried him but a short distance, he urged them to put him down and go back to rescue someone else. As he was mortally wounded, he knew there was no hope for him anyway.

Granting his request, they left him and returned to the combat area. In a few minutes, however, an officer stopped to ask him whether he could assist him in any way. The wounded soldier weakly replied, “No, thank you, sir. There’s nothing at all you can do.” “But can’t I at least get some water to quench your thirst?” the officer inquired. The dying man again shook his head saying,

“No, thank you, sir. There is one thing, however, you could do for me. In my knapsack you will find a New Testament. Please open it to John 14. Near the end of the chapter you will find a text beginning with the word `Peace.’ I would appreciate it if you would read just that one verse to me.”

The officer found the passage and read these words,

“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27

Thank you, sir,” said the dying soldier. “I have that peace and I am going to the Savior who made that promise. God is with me, I want no more.” Shortly after that, the wounded man entered into the presence of his Lord. Because he had Christ, he had peace with God, and since he had learned to commit everything to His care, he also had the peace of God. Yes, in our joys and in our sorrows, in life’s sunshine, or in the “valley of the shadow,” we who are at peace with God can also know the peace of God!

 

Peace, perfect peace, in this dark world of sin?
The blood of Jesus whispers peace within.
Peace, perfect peace, with sorrows surging ‘round?
On Jesus’ bosom naught but calm is found.

~ E. H. Bickersteth

No comments:

Post a Comment