Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Iniquities Are Too Heavy For Me!

Selections Taken From
Matthew Henry’s Method For Prayer

My iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me; (Psalm 38:4)  But, being weary and heavy laden under this burden, I come to Christ, who has promised that in him I shall find rest for my soul. (Matthew 11:28)

Knowing the affliction of my own heart, (1 Kings 8:38) may I look on him whom I have pierced, and may I mourn and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn. (Zechariah 12:10)  That I may grieve after a godly sort, with that grief which produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret; (2 Corinthians 7:10)  That I may remember and be confounded, and never open my mouth again because of my shame, when you have atoned for me for all that I have done. (Ezekiel 16:63)

O that I may bear fruit in keeping with repentance! (Matthew 3:8)  Let it be that I may never again turn back to folly; (Psalm 85:8) For what have I to do anymore with idols? (Hosea 14:8) For sin will have no dominion over me, since I am not under law but under grace. (Romans 6:14)  I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I do not forget your commandments. (Psalm 119:176)

The more knowledge I have of good and evil, the greater is my sin!  I have known my Masters will, but I have not done it; and therefore I deserve a severe beating! (Luke 12:47) - "And that servant who knew his master's will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes."

I have known the way of the Lord and the justice of my God and yet have broken the Yoke, and burst the bonds (Jeremiah. 5:4-5).  I have known God's decree, that those who practice such things deserve to die, and yet have not only done them, but have given approval to those who practice them (Romans 1:32). I have taught others, and yet have not taught myself (Romans 2:21).  While I profess to know and follow the Lord, I have denied Him by my works (Titus 1:16). The greater the profession I have made of my religion, the greater has been my sin!  I call myself after the Holy City and stay myself on the God of Israel and confess His Name, but not in truth and righteousness (Isaiah 48:1-2).  I have dishonored that worthy Name by which I have been called (James 2:23) - "And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.' And he was called the friend of God."

·        I bless you for the redemption I have through Christ’s blood, for the forgiveness of my trespasses, according to the riches of your grace, which you have lavished upon me. (Ephesians 1:7-8)  That you have forgiven all my iniquities and healed all my diseases; (Psalm 103:3) I thank You That in love you have delivered my life from the pit of destruction, for you have cast all my sins behind your back. (Isaiah 38:17)  When you brought me into the wilderness, there you spoke tenderly to me, and gave me my vineyard from there, and made the Valley of Achor a door of hope. (Hosea 2:14-15)

·        I bless you that by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified; (Hebrews 10:14)  That he has finished transgression, Put an end to sin, Atoned for iniquity, And has brought in an everlasting righteousness. (Daniel 9:24)

·        I thank You that He has redeemed me from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for me. (Galatians 3:13) and that God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do, by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, who by a sacrifice for sin, condemned sin in the flesh. (Romans 8:3)

·        I thank You that he was wounded for my transgressions and crushed for my iniquities, and that upon him was the chastisement of my peace, and with his stripes I am healed; and that the Lord having laid upon him the iniquity of all his people, (Isaiah 53:5-6)

O Lord, I beg You...Build in me the Fear of God and the Love of God that is Rooted in You, work in me that fear of you, Which is the beginning of wisdom, (Psalm 111:10) which is instruction in wisdom, (Proverbs 15:33) and which is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death. (Proverbs 14:27)  Unite my heart to fear Your Name, (Psalm 86:11) that I may keep your commandments, which is the whole duty of man. (Ecclesiastes 12:13) 

Dear Father, I beg that You put the fear of you in my heart, that I may not turn from you. (Jeremiah 32:40)  Let me be devoted to your fear, Psalm 119:38 and let me continue in the fear of the LORD everyday and all the day. (Proverbs 23:17)  Let the love of God and Christ be rooted in me and, to that end, that the love of the world may be rooted out of me.

Give me grace, I beg you, to love you, the Lord my God, with all my heart and soul and mind and strength, (Mark 12:30) which is the great and first commandment; (Matthew 22:37-38) Let me hold fast to you in love, (Psalm 91:14) Let me delight myself always in you; because therein I shall have the desires of my heart. (Psalm 37:4) Circumcise my heart to love you, the LORD my God, with all my heart and with all my soul, that I may live. (Deuteronomy 30:6)

O that God’s love may be poured into my heart through the Holy Spirit. (Romans 5:5) O that Jesus Christ may be very precious to me, as he is to all who believe, (1 Peter 2:7) Let Him be in my account distinguished among ten thousand, (Song of Solomon 5:10 and altogether desirable; and that He may be my beloved and my friend: (Song of Solomon 5:16)

Lord, though I have not seen Him, yet I may love Him; and though I do not now see Him, yet I may believe and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory. (1 Peter 1:8)  Let the love of Christ to me control me to live, not to myself, but to him who for my sake died and was raised. (2 Corinthians 5:14-15)  And, Lord, grant that I may not love the world or the things in the world, because I know that if anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; (1 John 2:15)  Help me that I may set my mind on things above, and not on things that are on earth. (Colossians 3:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment