Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Taken from Matthew Henry’s “Method of Prayer”

We must lament and confess over our sins..

Oh Lord, I confess and weep over my omissions of duty, my neglect of it and trifling in it, and that I have done so little since I came into the world of the great work I was sent into the world about, so very little to answer the end of my creation or of my redemption, of my birth and of my baptism; and that I have profited no more by the means of grace.  I have been as a fig tree planted in the vineyard, and you have come many years seeking fruit from me but have found none; and therefore I might justly be cut down and thrown into the fire Matthew 3:10(ESV) for using up the ground: Luke 13:6-7(ESV) - But Lord, You have exercised grace and patience!

You have come looking for grapes, but beheld wild grapes; Isaiah 5:4(ESV) for I have been an empty vine bringing forth fruit to myself. Hosea 10:1(ESV), but again Lord, Your eyes were patient , look to that One Who came in my stead. Lord, I have time and again known the right thing to do, but have failed to do it. James 4:17(ESV) I have hid my Master’s money, so to speak, Matthew 25:18(ESV) and therefore, like the wicked and slothful servant deserve the doom of my Master. Matthew 25:26(ESV) but once again Lord, Your eyes are not on me, but on the crucified One. I have been an unfaithful steward who has wasted my Lord’s possessions; Luke 16:1(ESV) for as You Word says: "one sinner destroys much good". Ecclesiastes 9:18(ESV) Lord, often there has been money in my hand to buy wisdom, yet I have had no sense to, Proverbs 17:16(ESV) or like the fool my heart has been inclined to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2(ESV)

My youth and dawn of life were vanity, Ecclesiastes 11:10(ESV) and I have brought my years to an end like a sigh. Psalm 90:9(ESV) I have not known or improved the day of my visitation; Luke 19:44(ESV) I haven't prepared bread in summer nor gathered food in harvest, though I have given much... Proverbs 6:7-8(ESV) I am slow of heart to understand and believe; Luke 24:25(ESV) Lord, I have much yet to learn the basic principles of the oracles of God: I have much need of milk, and there is much evidence that I cannot bear solid food. Hebrews 5:12(ESV)

Lord, It is frequently true that I have done away with the fear of God and hindered meditation before God; Job 15:4(ESV) I often do not called upon your name, or roused myself to take hold of you. Isaiah 64:7(ESV) To my shame I have come to you as your people come, and have sat before you as your people sit, and have heard what you have said, when my heart at the same time has been set after gain. Ezekiel 33:31(ESV) And thus have I brought the torn and the lame and the sick for sacrifice, have presented to my God that which I would not have presented to my governor; Malachi 1:8(ESV) and have vowed and sacrificed to the Lord what is blemished, when I had better in my flock. Malachi 1:14(ESV) But all of this Lord, all of it is under Your torn flesh and Your shed blood…

And thanks be to God, for apart from that truth there would be not hope, I would have not hope at all. How could I hope to make amends for even one offense, let alone for the enormity of all of my offense together? Oh Lord - thanks be to Your mercy and to Your grace - given before the world ever began...

No comments:

Post a Comment